Sunday, June 17, 2012

Summer Snackies

Our kids can eat.  They are always hungry and could eat all day if I let them...especially during these summer months when they are more active and burning calories in the sun.  Snacks and quick go-to picnic type foods are essential in this home these days.  Therefore, I've been trying to put some creative energy into making some snackies I can feel good feeding them.  There are always the easy basics like fruit, cheese, trail mixes, etc.  But here are a couple other favorites of late...

Pureed Fruit Popsicles
A variety of fruit combos can be used for these, but our favorite has been mango, fresh pineapple, banana, and strawberry.  I just puree it in the blender, pour into molds and freeze.


Dandy Date Bars
This one came from an old kids' cookbook I grew up with.  
Andy and Sandy's Yummy Summer Snack Book
This cookbook wasn't a favorite of mine as a child since it doesn't have snazzy full color illustrations, but now I realize that although Andy and Sandy aren't glitzy, they do have some good ideas.

These bars are quite tasty, and relatively nutritious.
They are a bit like a Lara Bar.

Here is my version of the recipe...
1 lb. dates, pitted and chopped
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. honey
1 1/2 c. unsweetened coconut
1/2 c. water
2 1/2 c quick oats
1/3 c. chopped walnuts
1/3 c. ground flax seed
1 t. vanilla

Combine dates, butter, oil, honey, coconut, and water in saucepan.  Cook over low heat until thick and blended.  Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients.  Press firmly into a greased 8 or 9 inch square pan.  Refrigerate for several hours and cut into small squares.

What creative summer snacks have you put together in your home?


2 comments:

B In Real LIfe said...

now that we are dye-free I am the homemade popsicle queen! :) I haven't tried mango...sounds so good!

Would the bars be good w/o walnuts? CeCe is allergic to tree nuts (of course!)

Unknown said...

We are loving making popsicles this Summer as well. Pureed fruit is such a good, healthy idea.

http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com