Monday, June 04, 2012

Grief and longing

Today I'm delighting in the gift of my children a bit more than usual.

Taking extra whiffs of Noah's baby skin.

Getting excited with Caleb over every truck and school bus we pass.
(photo by MichelleKristine Photography)

Adoring Hannah in her leotard as she pranced into her first-ever dance class.

I'm delighting in the gift of today.
That is all we are guaranteed.
God hasn't promised us tomorrow.
He hasn't promised us a life with out pain or suffering.
It stinks, really.
But thankfully, He has promised to be always with us.
He has promised to be our joy and peace as we journey through suffering.
And he has promised that if we hold faith in Jesus we will someday find our hearts' longings fulfilled.
We will fall down in worship.
Every tear will be wiped away.
And we will rejoice!

I'm heavy-hearted today for several dear friends of ours who are wrestling with grief and sorrow unlike any I've known.
Suffering is very real to them right now, and I can only pray that God's presence is as well.

Marvin and Erica, good friends of ours from college, had to say goodbye to their newborn son yesterday after a whirlwind past couple of weeks.
They are aching, sad, and overwhelmed.

And our friend, Precious, suffered a severe seizure the other night.
It was her fourth in the past month.
She is injured, confused, and longing.  

It doesn't take too much thought for the tears to come today.
Grieving with my friends makes my longing for Heaven more real than it's been in a long time.
Every tear wiped away.
All things made new.
Someday.

Come, Lord Jesus, come.

2 comments:

B In Real LIfe said...

yes, Jesus come quickly.

ps. i'm so happy you are blogging more regulalry :) i love to read your voice.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for that Carmen! I love hearing your thoughts as well. I can't wait for that day, to see our King face to face! :) and I loved the photos of the kiddos...
Val