This boy is growing and changing quickly these days. He finally talks. He is expressing his own ideas and opinions. And he is very much "boy". While he and Hannah still play really well together, he is influencing their play more and more. Instead of caring for babies and going shopping, they have recently been "really working"...hammering, measuring, fixing, sorting, and sticking painter's tape EVERYWHERE!
But I feel like I really need help! Being mom to a blossoming little girl comes so much more naturally to me. I understand what makes her tick. She is like me. I know how to creatively engage with her. But doing so with Caleb (and eventually Noah) doesn't come so naturally. He is loud, he loves trucks, messes, tearing things apart, and being physical. He is a pretty average two-year-old boy, I suppose. But I am realizing that I don't do a great job of intentionally thinking about how to encourage his masculinity. I can easily end up nagging at him A LOT if I'm not careful. So, moms of boys, I'd love your ideas. What are your favorite activities? How do you give your boy(s) space to be boys?
I do feel like I had a small victory today. While these girlies were painting 4th of July inspired firecrackers, he quickly lost interest, and started mischievously smearing paint on the tablecloth and his shirt. Instead of just instantly making him be done, I suggested a different painting technique. Matchbox car painting. It was a huge hit with the little guy! And it wasn't at all a big deal to me. I just had to think a little differently!
And once he realized he was the center of attention for my photo-taking, this is what I got.
Oh, boy. He makes me smile.

3 comments:
I COMPLETELY understand where you are coming from! This is something I have struggled with too. While I don't have it all figured out (and my boys are a little older) I do have a couple ideas. One thing my boys really enjoy is taking apart things. So if we have something that is broken (an old watch, remote control, etc.) and we are just going to throw away we let them have at it. They get to take it apart, explore, and learn how things work. (make sure you take any batteries or potentially harmful things out first!) Another thing I try to do is to let them do nice things for myself and their sisters. Things like opening the door for us, carrying grocery bags, etc. that may sound silly but as a mom and grownup you'd be surprised how much we automatically do it for them! I'd love to hear your ideas too!
Those are amazing ideas!
Would love ideas too! Thanks for the post!
Post a Comment