Monday, April 30, 2012

Monday's Baby Doll Carrier

I've been tired today.  
Lots of yawning.  
It definitely felt like a Monday.
But I got the first full-out giggle from this guy this morning, and that just made my day!
Look at that hair!  Isn't it the best!?!

The older kids had lots of energy for "projects" today.  Hannah often goes to bed at night and wakes up in the morning brainstorming ideas for things to create.  Combine this with the fact that since Noah's birth, almost all Caleb and Hannah's pretend play has revolved around caring for their babies, and you'll understand how one of today's projects came to be.  They see me lugging Noah around in his car seat carrier, so they wanted one for their babies as well.  

I kind of love when there is an opportunity to spontaneously try to create a toy out of something we already have.  I'm definitely an improvisor.  But, I also enjoy it because I see it spark the imagination of my children.  

(This isn't the look of "spark of the imagination".  It is the look of suddenly spotting their neighbor friend on our back patio.  Makes me chuckle.)

So, as we set out to create these baby doll carriers, I had fanciful ideas of covering them in cute fabric from my scrap bucket...imagining them finished off all cutsie.  But as is necessary when it's a kids' project, I had to let that idea go pretty quickly.  Hannah and Caleb were quite content with the cereal box look and just wanted to spruce them up a bit with some marker scribbles and loads of stickers.

Voila!

Hannah toted hers around much of the evening.  It even allowed for baby pink bear to go on a scooter ride.

And I thought I'd give you a little glimpse of our "project central".  I absolutely love that we have space for the dresser/hutch that houses most of the kids' creative supplies.  It is definitely well used.

Hannah went to bed tonight rattling on about how tomorrow we can "get out a big piece of paper and put it on the floor and paint it and decorate it with sparkles and hang it in the playroom for us to look at."  We'll see what comes of that.

No comments: