Well, I got the phone call today. My grandpa died this morning. He had been doing better the past couple days, and everyone thought he was going to be able to come home. This morning he had a minor surgery, and his heart failed while he was in recovery. It wasn't expected.
As I sit here and cry, I keep thinking of all the memories I have of him. My family and I had a relationship with grandpa that is somewhat unique. He wasn't just a grandpa that lived far away, who I saw every now and then. My grandparents lived 50 yards away from us, next door to us, on the family farm. Grandpa was part of my everyday life during my years at home. For years, we would get off the bus after school and run straight to grandpa and grandma's house. They would listen to the day's stories and routinely treated us to a lemon drop and piece of bubble gum...I can still see grandpa grabbing the candy from the cupboard and then sitting in his chair as he listened. Everyday, we would see grandpa working out on the farm...I can picture his gait as he would walk across our yard to check the crops and livestock. I can still hear him yelling, "SOO-EE" to those stubborn cattle. Grandpa was a gardener as well. I remember that frequent tap we'd hear on our kitchen window during the summer months. He would be standing there, either offering us fresh produce from their garden or offering us fresh advice about the state of our family's garden. I remember when he and grandma used to square dance at least two or three nights a week...they'd get all dolled up in their matching outfits grandma had sown. I remember when grandpa was healthy enough to come cheer us on at every event or activity we were involved in. He and grandma were such faithful fans! I remember the intense games of Squelch and Some-R-Set we'd play at grandpa and grandma's house in the more recent years.
I'm so thankful for memories. As difficult as these next days will be for members of my extended family, I'm glad that we can share fond memories of grandpa.
Cheryl's Birthday
2 years ago

3 comments:
Oh Carmen, this is such a sad loss. I'll be praying for you and your family.
I'm sad with you Carmy. Thank you for painting such fun memories of time with your Grandpa to share with us!
wish i could give you a real big hug right now...i'm sad with you and your family...
Post a Comment