Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Tanzania...

Lately, I have been loving this song by Alli Rogers called, "Tanzania". I really resonate with the heart's cry of the woman in the story. My sister, Alison, introduced me to this artist and this song specifically, so props to her. :) I wish you could listen to it...I have it on iTunes, but for blogging purposes, I'll just write out the lyrics...let me know what you think.

Well, it's eight hours later in Tanzania,
Jen lays down, Mary's just opening her eyes,
Her child's feet land on the ground, and dirt scatters,
and she feels left out in the open, always left out in the open,
She says, "Son, wear my shoes to school today."
And he turns and smiles and walks away

And she thinks to herself,
"Some day I will wake where the earth is clean and safe, my children will have a place to play, not here in Tanzania.
Someday I will live in a house that built by hands that hold the world, hands that hold the world."

It's eight hours earlier in Chatanooga.
Mary sits down, and Jen's just put the coffee on
And Katie Couric is talking news and fashion
And Jen feels pushed into a corner, always pushed into a corner
She says, "Baby, I know what the girls at school are like."
and her daughter rides off on her bike

Jen think to herself,
"Someday I will wake where my children get a break, and there are chances they will take, not here in Chatanooga,
Someday I will live in a house that's built by hands that hold the world, hands that hold the world."

Well, it's hard to be a mother, and it's hard to be a woman,
And it's hard to live in Africa sometimes.

It's hard to be a mother, and it's hard to be a woman,
And it's hard to live in America sometimes.

Someday I will wake in a body that won't break, on ground that doesn't shake, not here.
Someday I will live in a house that's built by hands that hold the world, hands that hold the world...
A house that's built by hands that hold the world.

No comments: