I've been reflecting on the day. It started out really messy. Neither the kids nor I greeted the day ready to love and serve one another. We were crabby! The relational dynamics in every direction were ugly. Within a short period of time there was plenty of crying, arguing, and raising voices. I was frustrated. My selfishness and impatience as I related to the kids wasn't helping anything.
Yes, they know how to push each other's buttons.
Shortly after praying together, a neighbor replied to a text I had sent her several days ago in which I had invited them to come play this morning. She asked if we were still up for a playdate. I replied, "Sure. Come over anytime! We are crabby and kind of a mess, so we could use some company. :)" She and her two small kiddos knocked on the door shortly after. We hugged and gave each other a really warm, knowing smile as we observed our matching get-up...yoga pants, sweatshirt, and unstyled hair. We proceeded to have a really refreshing time together.
In reflection, I am so in awe of God at work in our morning. He seemed to put me in a place of complete need and dependence just before my neighbor came to visit. Instead of trying to pull myself together to fit an image, I invited her into our mess. I let myself be humbled by the reality of my sin. In doing so, she felt so welcome to "come as she was". She shared her heart and life openly in return.
And at the end of our visit we all had a little more perspective. The kids and I were able to extend more grace to one another. We even ended up enjoying one another. Thank you, Lord!
These two are so worth enjoying.

2 comments:
Carmen,
I resonate with this so much. There are those days when my girls just can't seem to get along, and no matter how I pray I can't seem to get dug out of my crabby mood. We set each other off and it's a snowball. It's such a blessing to have friends who can come and be with you in the midst of it. I have made a lot of new friends here, but that rare blessing of someone being able to safely and graciously enter your mess is so precious. Your home was always that for us. God bless you. Merry Christmas.
Angela
I know crabby moods. I totally know. I loved hearing how you processed your day and loved your kiddos through it all. You are a great Mama! Love you!
Post a Comment