Friday, August 26, 2011

Tadpoles sleep baby

No, I'm not begging our pet tadpoles to sleep.  Those three word simply sum up what's on my blogging brain.  First off, the tadpoles...after my dad made a comment about them looking a bit like bullfrog tadpoles, I've been doing some identification research.  I've looked at a lot of photos and charts describing different characteristics of frog species.  And while I'm still not 100% sure, I do feel fairly confident that they are indeed bullfrog babies.  Why does it matter?  Well, for some reason, the idea of bullfrogs kind of grosses me out.  But more importantly, I've read from many sources that bullfrogs can stay in the tadpole stage for up to two years!  That, my friends, is not what I was signing up for when I eagerly caught the things.  I refuse to care for tadpoles long-term, so we shall see what becomes of them.  Are any of you experts in the area of tadpole identification and development?

Secondly, I'm tired.  Our children have been waking each other up a lot since putting them in one room.  So, after going many months without being roused from my sleep to soothe a child, I've been struggling a bit this week, having had to get up at least once every night.  But we're going to persevere with it for a while.  The playroom has been so much fun!

And lastly, I'm a bit behind getting the announcement made via the blog, but...in case you don't already know, we are expecting baby #3 mid February!  The news has been public for a while now, but I've kept waiting to blog about it, hoping to get a photo taken of my already burgeoning belly.  But, it just hasn't happened yet.  So, even without a photo, here's to a family of five!

4 comments:

B In Real LIfe said...

there are so may big words in this post I had to google a few :)
"I've looked at a lot of photos and charts describing different characteristics of frog species. " Made me giggle :)

So happy for #3!!!

Marie said...

I'm sorry! I feel for you about the sleep thing... it really does make the days harder.

Isn't it crazy how much sooner you start showing with number 3? It seriously freaked me out that the day I found out I was pregnant I already had a little pooch. Congratulations! Life is kinda nuts with 3, but in a fun kind of way. I have been enjoying it.

TheHappyNeills said...

I actually have a lot of tadpole experience so I've enjoyed reading about your tadpole adventure. :) I used to raise about 100 every summer for a few years straight. Never took long to sprout legs and hop away as teensy little bullfrogs. Don't worry--they're still really cute when they're an inch big. There's no way in a place like KS they could survive as tadpoles for 2 years, right? With our seasons? Here they have to be seasonal and hatch at the right time, develop at the right time, then be grown enough to do whatever they do when it gets too cold. Just my speculation--I could be totally wrong on that! Like our annuals in KS compared to a nice place like Mexico where they grow year round, live a long long time, can plant them whenever. . . anyway, not exactly sure but I highly doubt you'll have them 2 years! :)

Mendy said...

Congrats, Carmen! On the baby human, not the baby bullfrogs, that is.