We have only 36 hours under our belts, but this is what it's looked like so far. Here are the sleeping room accommodations.
I chuckle to myself now, observing their very distinctly "boy" and "girl" color themed rooms. It's a messy mix of colors now, in the name of functionality.
We removed dresser doors in both rooms to try to maximize space (and stop the frequent occurrence of pinched fingers). You'll notice that Hannah's dresser is tucked inside the closet.
The bedtime routine had only minor difficulties last night. We put Caleb to bed first, hoping he would stay asleep when Hannah's turn came, but no luck. He woke up and they proceeded to chat and giggle for a bit before I interceded and gave Hannah stern instructions that she had to set the example and be quiet. Caleb continued to chatter with her for a while, but soon settled himself to sleep since Hannah was no longer responding to him. They both slept soundly through the night and woke up only slightly earlier than normal. Naps have been easy as we've had Caleb sleep in his crib and Hannah has slept in our bed. I am optimistic that they will settle in to this new normal pretty easily.

3 comments:
Thanks for the update, Carmen. Love the taking the doors off idea. We did that at the rent house on Dickens... It really does add a lot of space when you need a place for dressers... We're not getting much use out of our closets right now. Cramming a dresser in there is a superb idea. In my mind I just couldn't figure out how to get a dresser, a changing table and 2 beds in there... I really appreciate you posting this... I have themed the girls' rooms and decorated them just so, wooden letters with their names and everything. It's going to hurt me to have to forego all that decoration/organization in the name of functionality. I've seen you've done that (boys/girls theme). It's tough, but in the long run functionality's gotta win or we're going to drive ourselves crazy picking up toys all over the house! I'll let you know how it goes for us. We had a disaster at both bedtime last night and naptime today. We've got to get Sophia up off the floor into a proper bed, and we've got to get the toys out of her room. Thanks for the inspiration. ;) Hope it continues to be a helpful arrangement for you.
the "messy mix of colors in the name of functionality" feels "homey" to me. :) Love it. A real home is very functional by nature. So fun for them that they get to share a room!
our boys have shared a room for 4 years...and they sleep in a queen bed together (started when Noah was about 2) . noah technically has his own room, but they prefer to be together. it just "works" for them. i often wonder when they will outgrow this... surely they won't want to sleep together in high school?? :)
didn't get any tadpoles yet since I just got kids this week, but we'll be looking for some on friday. hope they're still there! thanks for the spinach tip.
Post a Comment