I've wanted to blog multiple times this week. I definitely wanted to put together a "Happy St. Patrick's Day" post yesterday. We've been doing all kinds of festive green activities around here to celebrate...shamrock art projects, green popcorn, a sensory tub full of green and white things, rainbow cookies for neighbors, books from the library about the holiday, a leprechaun lunch of only green food...you get the point. I was going to put together a fancy photo collage of it all, but instead, I've been spending a lot of time recently wiping snotty noses, mixing up homemade cough syrups, and snuggling cranky kids.
Hannah seems to be turning a corner, but this little guy was miserable today. He fell asleep on my shoulder two different times. That rarely happens anymore! I guess I'll take that over fancy blog posts any day.
However, while I'm writing I'll share two recent things about Hannah. We are beginning to think she may be left-handed. When does that generally happen developmentally? She will still use a fork or spoon in either hand, but definitely prefers to draw and paint with her left. In fact, she acts all awkward when trying to hold a marker or such with her right hand. (Oh, and for the record, she said that is the ocean that she drew on that blue paper.)
And lastly, she is initiating some of the sweetest conversations lately (when I'm patient enough to engage her in them). Tonight at bedtime, she asked, "Mommy, why is it not dark yet?" Our conversation went something like this...
--"Well, because that is what happens when it starts to get warmer outside. As we get closer to summer, the sun stays up later and later."
--"Why?" (of course) :)
--"I don't really know, Hannah. That's how God made it to work. I guess we'll have to ask Him."
--"Mommy, can we let God out and ask Him?"
--"What do you mean?"
--"Where does God live?"
--"Well, we've talked about that. He lives inside of us and all around us, but we can't really see Him."
--"Can we let Him out of our tummies and ask Him why the sun's not down?"
I love seeing her child-like faith as she picks up on and wrestles with what are often difficult points to process. Throughout the day, she'll make comments like, "Mommy, God made my blankie...God made my bed...God is growing our grass for us." And this evening at the park, T made a comment about being big and strong and her response was, "God is big and strong." She is really thinking about things in such an innocent way.
Cheryl's Birthday
2 years ago


4 comments:
this post makes my heart smile...really really big!
Sorry to hear that the kiddos are sick, but that is all so, so sweet.
So, Sophia does everything left-handed. Eats left-handed, draws and colors and paints left-handed. Scissors left-handed. She always has. I try to encourage her to use her right because she's impossibly awkward... as I suppose most two year-olds are... but, she just can't seem to get the right-hand to do much of anything. I keep fearing that we'll get to kindergarten and she'll be so far behind in handwriting and drawing because she's really right-handed and I didn't push it hard enough.
oh well. I suppose they'll work it out.
YES, I meant to ask you when you picked her up on Friday...I noticed the left hand when she drew and wondered if that was normal.
Malia asked me a similar question about God a while back. "When Aliza came out of your belly did the doctors see God?" It took me awhile to figure out what she meant. She was thinking about God being inside of me. So cute.
Hannah has a beautiful tripod grasp! (I can't help but notice...) :) If she's that comfortable with her left, let her go with it...(which you are obviously doing) since it is related to brain development. I'm tryng my best to remember what my child development books say, but I think around 50% have a dominant hand at age 3. From experience, I can tell you that nearly all of my first-year preschoolers show hand dominance early in the year.
Love the "let Him out of our tummies" comment. :)
Post a Comment