Well, I'm back for another week of Bad Mommy Rehab...here to tell you of a recent success in my role as mom.
Potty training. It can be a daunting topic. As with nearly all aspects of parenting these days, there are two thousand and one books out there about how to train your child to control their bodily waste. Well, one thing I learned in the early days of being a mom is that I don't do so well with topical "how-to" parenting books. They tend to be written in a "this is the only right way to guarantee the proper outcome for all children" kind of way. Talk about inviting a sense of guilt and failure! Geesh! So, I am so very proud to report on how I went about potty training Hannah...without consulting a single book or website on the topic.
Not only did I refrain from reading pressure filled potty training literature in recent months, I was also intentional not to play the comparison game. Of course, some of Hannah's friends were trained by 18 months, and my neighbor friend was emphatic about the fail-proof approach that worked with her daughter the week of her second birthday. Typically, those kind of stories would make me feel pressure to "measure up" with my child. But not in this instance.
With regards to potty training, I chose (with the encouragement of my husband) to trust my gut...to trust that I knew myself, my circumstances, and my daughter better than anyone. I decided to choose our own timing and our own approach. I mean, as long as she isn't wearing diapers to Kindergarten, we're okay, right? Well, what do you know? I'd say she is now fully potty trained, not to mention, so proud of herself. And it happened incredibly quickly and naturally (and well before Kindergarten)! There was no butting of stubborn wills, no fretting or stressing on my part, and virtually no potty accidents once we went for it. It has been such a rewarding experience and an unexpected gift from God...affirming that my mommy intuition can be trusted.
So, here's to trusting my mommy gut and to one less child in diapers. Cheers!

5 comments:
first of all....18 months?!?!?!!? Oh my....
I loved this post, it's so encouraging to be reminded that I know my girls best...not Dr. Sears or Miracle Mommy down the street...but me!
Thanks for joining in today. hope you have a great week with only one kiddo in diapers :)
GO YOU!!!
That's great! I wish I had learned that lesson. I fretted a lot, and it was all such a waste of time.
I'm so glad that you were able to train Hannah on her own time and with relative ease. What a blessing during this time in life.
Potty training is one of those daily struggles that I try to remember to give Sophia grace. It's training, right. It has to be learned... Our thing now is that Sophia doesn't tell us she needs to go, she just goes to the potty on her own. If I can't find her, I look around and she's in there on the potty. However, she can't wipe herself... Or, some days I'll just find poop in there... and, I know I didn't take her potty. So, I'm always having to be one step ahead of her.
So, you want to hear something that really took a lot of grace? Sophia pooped during naptime the other day. Well, she knows she gets in trouble if she takes her naptime pull-up off. So, instead, she kept it on, but she stuck her hand in there and pulled poop out. Then, she painted with it on the wall! After an hour of hearing her talking and not napping, I went in to check on her and yucky brown poop was smeared all over my mother-in-laws walls. Wow. We had to spank her. She talked about it for days... about how angry mommy and daddy were when she put poop on her wall and how we had to spank her. Yup. Grace. Grace. Grace.
Oh, how I remember potty training. My mantra during that time was "how many kids in elementary school do you know still in diapers? It will happen when it is supposed to happen". Fortunately, my son was trained at about 2 1/2. We started trying at 2, and that just didn't fly. Now, he's almost 17, and I so miss those diaper days. :)
New follower. Found you from Bad Mommy Rehab. Love your super awesome blog. I'll be back (in my best Arnold voice).
KyAnn
http:checketts-myers-clan.blogspot.com
Post a Comment