I know many of you, my readers, are pros at the whole money-saving, coupon-clipping thing. I hear your stories about clipping, sorting, planning, strategizing, and saving hundreds (or at least tens) of dollars on each trip to the store. I hear stories about people spending less than $20 for a whole cart full of groceries. Are these stories true? I just don't get it. I need someone to take me by the hand and show me how. I've looked through newspaper ads, local store circulars, online coupon sites, and while I find an occasional good deal, I have yet to understand how to really save big. I usually end up deciding that the itty bit I save isn't really worth the time I spend doing it.
My biggest frustration is that most of the coupons I find are for products I would never typically buy. You know, there are some things I'd rather not purchase, no matter how inexpensively I can buy them. Do I have to compromise our eating habits in order to save? I'd like to believe this isn't the case.
So, tell me. How do you do it? Where do you find savings? Have you figured out how to save on high-quality whole food products? How much time do you spend clipping, organizing, and compiling coupons and lists each week? Do you find yourself going to half a dozen different stores to maximize savings? Share your stories. Give me some tips. I'd love your help.
Cheryl's Birthday
2 years ago

10 comments:
Believe it or not...I have become a coupon cutting mama.
I have www.hip2save.com on my blog and she is always sharing the latest deals.
I figured out that I saved about $50 last month on food and didn't buy anything I wouldn't have bought already.
my rule is...I don't clip it unless I would normally buy it. unless I have been considering buying it before.
the hip2save blog has each stores current specials and she even has videos showing you her strategies.
good luck!
I'll be watching the comments. If someone starts printing lots of coupons for meat, milk, and produce...I'm in!
Carmen---this is Carolyn's friend, Rachel B....(I discovered your site through hers!)
I would have lots of tips that I've found useful since I started couponing about a year ago--but I suppose that might seem overwhelming....and perhaps not what you're looking for! Truth be told, I thought the very same way when I started---and while I still find food deals really difficult to come by, the fact that we literally pay nothing or sometimes get our money back on personal care items--well, that's just saved us enough. I love hip2save and also really adore reading moneysavingmom.com.
The way people save really big bucks is by rolling store gift card offers/or "cash back" in the form of "cash" to use in the store again. Target has recently started offering a lot of giftcards with purchase of option and drugstores like CVS and Walgreens do the other.
When I first started couponing I spent way more time then it takes me now. I clip on Sunday afternoon and organize as well as plan my shopping lists for the week--45 minutes max. I read blogs throughout the week for any unadvertised deal, but generally it takes me doing a trip to CVS or Walgreens if there is something good--and my usual Target or grocery store trip for the week
Sorry...that was probably more than you were asking for. I'd be delighted to share anything more specific/answer any questions. my email is rachelc0816 at gmail.com
I've been doing this for almost 4 years and I guess my biggest tip would be keep some semblance of balance! There are blogs out there devoted to saving money on organics, and if you go to www.mambosprouts.com you can find some great coupons for organic stuff. The blogger I like the most www.moneysavingmom.com grinds her own wheat!
Hey Carmen. After we left the states I was in serious coupon withdrawal. It was so hard to pay for things like toothpaste, razors, and shampoo again. Actually I still cringe when I have to buy these things. I'd say that is where we saved the most doing coupons. There alot of coupons for convience foods, I'd only buy some of these things if they were free, and alot of items were donated them to our church's pantry. The best places we found to save the most was at Walgreens, Dillons, and Target.
I will say that I did find some great coupons for some good stuff like organic milk, cheese, and organic yogurt, so even though the vast majority are for things that I never bought there are some gems out there. Often these things are marked down at Dillons and I was able to often buy milk for very cheap. As we left the states there were more and more coupons for fruit, like pineapples and such. Around thanksgiving and Christmas time there are some great coupons out there for basic items like yeast, flour, sugar.
The one thing you have to watch out for when couponing is when you see such a great deal and it's so cheap, sometimes it's hard to resist. As a rule of thumb I'd never try to buy something I usually didn't buy. I hope this helps and there are some great sites out there, money saving mom was always a good one.
Wow! So many comments! Living in Walmart country (literally, that's basically our only choice for grocery stores!) I've found that my best way to save money on food is to price match to Aldi at Walmart. Most people don't realize that you can price match produce there...Aldi's isn't nearly as high of quality (at least here) but their prices are usually half of walmart's. Also, I order coupons for things we buy that I can use coupons for and stock up when it's a good price (Soy milk, cheeses, toiletries.) And of course, by using Walgreens, we pay nothing (and actually come out ahead) on toiletries, which saves money for groceries! And sometimes, yes, we buy things we can't use that are free or more than free and donate them... just because I won't use contact solution doesn't mean someone at a homeless shelter won't!
Oh yeah - and I watch Target's gift card deals... I'm pretty sure I haven't bought cereal in over a year dispite eating it daily for breakfast! Especially when Kashi is free or cheap after coupons... we stock up!!! That and Raisin Bran/Shredded Wheat - it was a sad day when we recently ran out of all of that free Raisin Bran Extra recently.. we came to love it! The best time to stock up on cereal will be the end of this month/early August - that's when the great coupons and sales will begin for back to school.
To answer one of your questions "Should I have to compromise our eating habits in order to save?"
Gosh, that is something that I have struggled with often trying to eat on a budget and I've firmly decided that the answer is no way. Even though it is more expensive to buy a pint of blueberries than some fruit snacks or a box of crackers with a coupon, I'll shell out the cash for the blueberries. One great thing you do, Carmen, is grow a lot of your own produce! Think about how much you're saving by doing that!
Hey Carmen :) I smiled when I read your post because those are my thoughts exactly. I would love to go to the store with someone who is "coupon-savvy" and watch them do their magic! I'm a learner by watching and doing...I am making baby steps towards organic/health foods if they are packaged or processed and trying to eat mostly fruits and veggies (that's ideal...).
I have loved Kashi coupons and I receive them in the mail more often than not because I have signed up on their website and I also signed up to vocalpoint.com, where you can try out products for free and get high value coupons. If it's not something I'm interested in, I pass on all coupons to someone else who maybe would be
Anyway, it's helpful to hear everyone's comments...it takes effort to save money! :)
lovins. m
Post a Comment