That is what the Governor called it in his welcome speech. It was the 5th annual Symphony in the Flint Hills, a celebration of art and the frontier spirit, in the middle of the Tallgrass Prairie.
Thousands of people gathered to enjoy the beautiful day. T and I, along with some friends, were among them. Covered wagon rides, an art auction, history and heritage educational seminars, good food, and great music filled the evening. We didn't stay for this, but following the concert, there were dancing, star-gazing, and story-telling activities late into the night.
Local ranchers greeted us along the meandering walking path.
White open-air tents filled the horizon as we approached. Surreal.
It truly felt like a festival!
The view from our covered wagon.
The crowd gathered to hear the Kansas City Symphony (with guest composer and singer, Lyle Lovett).
Ranchers herded hundreds of cattle as a backdrop to the concert.
It was a delight to experience the event for the first time. I especially loved the beautiful Flint Hills artwork.
It all made me dream of living in the prairie in the "olden" days...yet, at the same time, made me thankful that I don't.
It was all very inspiring.
It was all very inspiring.

2 comments:
What a fun and unique experience! When I think of crossing the country in covered wagons with a bunch of people, I always think of how awkward it would have been when you had to "go". I guess they had big skirts??
This looks...so...cool. Hope we get to make it next year.
Post a Comment