Though "goodbyes" are inevitable no matter where you live, this town lends itself to many relational transitions. I said goodbye to a good friend tonight, and I've been thinking a lot about how much I am going to miss her.
Angela and I met through Emmanuel House Seminary when she and her hubby moved her from Arkansas to take classes. We started a basic friendship there, but really started to lean on one another after the birth of our first children...exactly one week apart. We were both SO OVERWHELMED and feeling SO CLUELESS. I remember crying with one another, giving pep talks and sitting with one another's babes a time or two just to allow the other to take a shower. It was a difficult transition for the both of us.
Now our daughters are approaching their second birthdays and the past two years have been full of sweet moments together. We've compared notes on our girls a lot. We've met for play dates. We've acknowledged how clueless we feel at times. We've watched our girls love one another (and have the occasional tiff over a toy). We've shared resources and offered encouragement. AND we've both recently had our second baby.
As many of you know, motherhood can be a breeding ground for anxiety, pride, guilt, comparison, fear, etc. I've been so blessed to have Angela as a voice of grace these past two years. Whether she realized it or not, basically every time I interacted with her, I felt lighter...I felt more confident...I felt more free to offer myself grace...to not have to "have it together". She pointed me to Christ by simply being herself. I'm so grateful to be her friend.
Now she and her husband are moving their family back to Arkansas to be closer to family and to pursue a career in ministry. I hated to say goodbye, knowing that our play dates and child swaps are over, but I definitely hope we stay in touch, continuing to offer encouragement in the years ahead.
We will sure miss you guys!
Cheryl's Birthday
2 years ago

2 comments:
Carmen I was thinking about you tonight after Jenni told me they were moving. I know you will really miss her friendship. I'm thankful God placed her in your life for this phase to be His voice to you. What a blessing!
Wow, Carmen. Thank you. I'm honored. So honored. I hope you know that the feeling of grace is mutual. I remember calling you so many times when I was worried about this or that, and I felt so refreshed after spending an hour with you or hearing that you're going through the same things. You've talked through so much with me, listened so well, and been such a great friend. Thanks for this post. Thanks for our friendship. Love you, gal.
Post a Comment