Wouldn't that be an interesting title for a TV show that shows otherwise "good" people breaking some random law due either to pure ignorance or to extenuating circumstance? Well, if one had followed us with a camera today, we could have been one of the featured stories on that show.
We traveled home from San Antonio today. We were tuckered out by the time our last flight landed, but all had gone smoothly and we were thrilled to get home. I lugged Hannah and our carry-on bag out to the van while T waited for our checked items. He waited and waited...our suitcase came...waited...all other items on the belt had been claimed and people were clearing out. Our car seat was no where to be seen! So, after chatting with airline people and being assured that they would most likely be able to track it down (who knows when it will show up), we were left with quite a dilemma. What were we to do? (One friend on Facebook suggested duct tape.)
Now that I think about it, we probably had some options that would have kept us within the laws of child transport. Since we flew into our local municipal airport (which was otherwise a wonderful experience), we could have called a friend who might have been able to come to the aiport to lend us a car seat for the evening. One of us could have run to Target and bought a temporary seat. Maybe we could have even called the police department for a solution...an escort perhaps? :) But no...we were so set on just getting home that we broke the law, and I rode in the backseat with Hannah on my lap. (Now, mom, be assured that we were extra careful and had we needed to drive farther, we surely would have come up with a different option.) Shame on us!
But we all made it home safely, and thankfully no passer-by called the cops on us. So, until the airline calls to tell us our car seat has arrived, Hannah will be stuck at home. However, after all of our recent travels, I don't think she'll mind too much.
Oh, and if you were to pry about another law I have broken (and am still in violation of)...it would be the one about keeping the address on your drivers' license current. But, come on! I know many of you are guilty of tripping over that one too, aren't you!?!
Cheryl's Birthday
2 years ago

3 comments:
Carmen. I have no doubt I would have done the same thing. Because let's face it traveling with a toddler is work.
I've done that too!
If it were to happen again you could contact the local police department and see if they have extra carseats. Sometimes they have them available to give away. We've driven around with our child not in a carseat before.
You can also update your address online with the DMV. I only know that because my job checks to make sure that my address is current. Otherwise I'd be breaking that law with you. :)
Post a Comment