Thursday, October 15, 2009

Our favorite inexpensive "toy"

Who knew that $2 worth of noodles plus a bit of energy to dye them would result in such a fun toy!?! I guess other people have discovered this also since dying instructions are all over the internet.
But seriously, Hannah and I have recently spent a significant amount of time each day playing with these textured delights. She enjoys practicing her scooping and pouring techniques; filling one container after another. We also like to bury things (spoons, puzzle pieces, one another's hands, anything really) in the noodles and search for them. Sometimes we talk about colors and sort through the noodles to fill a small bowl with noodles all of one color. And most fun of all is when we combine the noodles with a set of pretend cookware and the little miniature kitchen our neighbors handed down to us. We can cook up quite the storm! And we like to finish that off by inviting all of our stuffed animal and baby doll friends to a little meal of sorts. I treasure these moments...
(The blanket on the floor is a must for quick and easy clean-up!)
And for anyone wanting to dye your own noodles, here is the quick how-to. Simply separate noodles into ziploc baggies based on how many colors you want to create. Pour enough rubbing alcohol into each baggie to thoroughly coat the pasta. Then add food coloring (amount is left for you to judge) and toss it all around to coat well. Leave the pasta sit in the bags for anywhere from 2-12 hours (the longer you let it sit, the darker the colors will become), turning occasionally. Then dump pasta out and spread onto sheets of newspaper to dry thoroughly. Have fun!

8 comments:

Marie said...

Wow! What a fantastic idea! I wish I had thought of this, like, two years ago!! What kind of noodles do you use? We've been using dried kidney beans and they make such a mess! Thanks Carmen!!

The Farwells said...

What a great idea! I will definitely be dying some noodles very soon. :)

Regan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Regan said...

What a great idea. You're such a fun Mom.

Kristin said...

Thanks so much for sharing your creative idea! I can't wait to do this with Kate...

Amanda said...

We just dyed noodles the other day too! How funny! They also make a great way to teach your children about sorting and patterns. Sorry, it's the homeschool mom in me!

Gail said...

What a great mommy you are, Carmen! Love to see you enjoying these moments with your daughter!

carrie said...

Have you ever tried the neon food coloring? The colors are so bright and fun. You can also color rice this way...fun for scooping, pouring, and rice art.

I love seeing moms do the sensory table activities at home. :)