Wednesday, October 14, 2009

On Parenting...

It is a topic that has recently filled a substantial amount of conversations between T and I and with other parents we respect. I mean, of course we've been parents for nearly a year and a half, but recently, we feel as though we've entered a new phase of more "active" parenting. And while we're years (even decades) away from mastering this role we're in, we've been discussing topics that seem to be controversial in today's culture of raising kids, trying to formulate a Biblical vision and exploring how to let that guide our parenting. It seems that you don't have to look too hard at family relationships in our society to conclude that children are ruling the roost more than ever. I'd also propose that many of those same children are begging for direction, boundaries, and discipline more than ever (though they may not say it).

A friend posted a link on Facebook today to a couple articles that I found to be especially thought provoking. They center on how our children's literature portrays children and dynamics with parents. Recently published children's books definitely tend to glorify things like tantrums, selfishness, carelessness, even violence, all while painting a picture of frazzled, out of control, and appeasing parents. T and I have noticed some of this even in Hannah's board books. Every now and then we'll come home from the library with a book that I very quickly surveyed before check-out only to discover subtle (or not so subtle) selfish attitudes being promoted.

Whether you are a parent or not, I'd strongly recommend that you read these two articles (one is referenced by the other). They are a bit long, but so worth the time. It's another example of how bombarded we (and our kiddos) are by messages of our culture.

4 comments:

Jenni said...

Interesting thought. I will have to read those articles. I think farm animal board books are safe for now...but books with more story lines will come quick I am sure.

Regan said...

You wouldn't believe the number of parents who call 911 because their 8 yo is out of control and they need the police to come get them back in control, on their way to school, to take them away, etc. It's so sad. It all could've been prevented had those parents remained in control of their kids when they were little.

I haven't read those articles yet, but I'm very interested in finding out what they have to say.

Erika said...

I've also noticed this in children's literature. We make up our own words sometimes, rather than read what's in the text.

jenifriend said...

carmen have you heard of the book 'raising godly tomatoes'? i haven't read it myself, but it comes highly recommended by many christian mommas i know. thank you for sharing the other links!!