Saturday, August 01, 2009

Goodbye July!

Many of you have been asking about our locavore challenge this past month, and I'm so sorry I didn't post much about it like I had originally intended. Not much about it went as I had originally intended. We actually gave up. We lasted about a week and half...plenty long enough to realize that it was harder than I'd anticipated. I mean, as I mentioned before, the sit-down meals were relatively easy, but it was trying to have quick, easy lunches and handy snacks that did me in. I was seriously brainstorming, planning, or preparing food ALL the time (at least it felt that way)! I was in the kitchen a lot, and didn't feel like I ever had that much of a product to show for all my efforts. Not only that...the REAL kicker was that when I came up with this challenge, I didn't anticipate that I would be in my first trimester of pregnancy! That's right! We are expecting again! I'm 11 weeks along, and really looking forward to my first doctor's appointment in just over a week to hear that reassuring little heart beat. But that is all for another post. Back to failing the locavore challenge...I have been SO tired this month and significantly more nauseous than I was with Hannah. So, having to think about food all the time was literally making me sick and not a very happy momma. After a specifically intense day of feeling awful, I decided to swallow my pride and wave the white flag. I surrendered to the challenge. And I've been okay with that. :)

However, I don't think it was all in vain. We were definitely made very aware of what we were eating and where it came from. I think that will continue. I still try to be sensitive to what is in season and what is available locally. There are several local farmers and businesses that we will continue to support by buying their goods. (I'm excited to tell you more about some of them in a future post.) And, lastly, I developed what is hopefully a more healthy appreciation for the convenience of a grocery store.

11 comments:

Heather said...

Congrats on your pregnancy! A valentine baby will be so sweet!

Kira said...

Congrats on the baby Carmen!!

Marie said...

Congrats Carmen! Hopefully the morning sickness will go away soon! Having gone through that myself (twice), I agree that there is no possible way to endure morning sickness and try to stick to your food challenge (and care for a one year old at that). You were smart to put that on the back burner!

Em said...

Wow! Congratulations! I'm really excited about baby #2!

Erica said...

What awesome news!

Erica said...

What awesome news!

jenifriend said...

congratulations carmen!! i'm so excited for you!!

Kristin said...

Congrats, Carmen! Excited for you guys!

Mandy said...

So excited for you friend! I so admire your heart and transparency. I love you. I am looking forward to following along with your growing family! many many many congratulations. Praise Him!

Shelley F. Camba said...

A great big YEAH from Rene and I!

tiff said...

We are excited about baby #2 as well! So glad our kiddos will grow up together. I am also proud of you for taking on the food challenge and trying something new. It's the journey that counts, I think.