Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Creativity in the Kitchen

After a bountiful garden harvest this morning, I was inspired to get creative for dinner tonight. Along with some juicy steak, we enjoyed chips with fresh salsa, bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers, and tomato and fresh mozzarella salad. It was all quite tasty.

I finally got around to tackling the cheese making experiment in order to have fresh mozzarella for the tomato salad. It was a relatively easy process, but the cheese was especially bland. I'm not totally convinced it will be worth making again. But here are photos of the process for those who are interested...
The curds and whey separating in the pot after adding a bit of citric acid and rennet
Balls of curds after being separated from the whey and drainedCurds then had to be repeatedly heated in the boiling whey and kneaded until elastic in texture.
The final product with fresh tomatoes, basil and balsamic vinaigrette

If anyone in the Manhattan area is interested in making some of this cheese for yourself, I'd be happy to share the instructions along with the necessary citric acid, rennet, and cheese salt. I have a TON! Just let me know.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That is beautiful! Good job!

Erica said...

I just looked up how to make this last week. I'm going to try it because we can't get moz. cheese where we are at in CA. Bummer it wasn't very tasty. How's the local eating going, I'm very curious.

Regan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Regan said...

Are you enjoying your experiment this month?

Amanda said...

Good job, Carmen! I've been wanting to make my own for a while now. Somehow, though, it just hasn't fit into the schedule! :) Maybe when Kate is a little older. It might be a fun science project to do with the children during school. I've heard ricotta is pretty easy too. Are you going to try that as well?

Erika said...

Oh you know I'm interested in trying. :)