
Our month of local eating has begun. We had only a day or two at home last week before we headed to my parents' home for a long holiday weekend. So, this week really kicks off the challenge. And, boy, does it feel like a challenge right now! We've got all kinds of delicious produce and I've put together a flexible meal plan for the month, but snack foods are what feel most overwhelming to me. I mean, we have a nearly 14 month old who loves things like bananas, cheese crackers, dry cereal, and other very convenient snack foods. So, while I know there are plenty of homemade snack items I can make, I'm just not thrilled about all the time in the kitchen this will require. Along with trying to make some creative (and easy to eat/gum) snack foods, I've got garden produce to wash, cut, can, and freeze, bread to bake, yogurt and cheese to culture, and meals to prepare. Please don't hear me complaining...I initiated the challenge myself. I'm just wanting to share the ups and downs of this experiment, and currently my enthusiasm is a bit low. If any of you have any recipes, snack ideas, or extra excitement to share, I could use it!
1 comment:
You can do it, Carmen! But I do hear you -- preserving and preparing all that food will take a lot of time! It's worth a try, though! I'll be looking forward to hearing more about it.
Post a Comment