July is going to be our month of eating (mostly) only locally grown/produced foods. It is approaching quickly, and I'm trying to think through what I need to do and plan in order to be prepared. In case you didn't read my previous post about the book that is inspiring this month-long challenge, you can see it here.
So, in planning for the month, I'm also trying to be realistic about what our limitations and values are. With that in mind, we are acknowledging some exceptions we will allow during the month.
--T often meets with clients/co-workers over lunch. So, while many of this lunches will be packed fresh from home, there will be some times that he'll "have" to eat restaurant food.
--Our value of relationships trumps the locavore challenge. We won't turn down opportunities to eat with friends. Only food that we prepare ourselves has to fit the challenge.
--And let's face it, there is a short list of non-local food items that I don't think we can do without for the month...they will definitely make the preparation of food much easier and tastier. So far, this list includes olive oil, peanut butter, spices, vinegars, and maybe a condiment or two.
Can you think of any other limitations or exceptions we should consider? Is there anything you cook with that you think should be allowed for the month? I'd love to hear.
Oh, and about cheese...wowsers! I've done my share of researching lately, and I'm overwhelmed! While the general processes are straight forward, there is a huge learning curve and a fair amount of equipment to acquire in order to make the full range of cheeses. Soft cheeses like fresh mozzerella and ricotta are VERY easy and quick to make, so I am going to commit to make those as needed for July, but our other cheeses will be coming from K-State and our local Call Hall. Who knows? We may even treat ourselves to some yummy ice cream from there too! :)
I'm excited to keep you updated on what our food experience is throughout the month!
Cheryl's Birthday
2 years ago

4 comments:
i can't wait to hear more about your challenge!! keep us posted!!
jenifriend
I was meaning to ask you about this today at lunch...so glad you posted about it!
oh Call Hall.... did you know that place was named after my great grandpa? Oh wait, I'm sure I've known you long enough to have already told you that "story." I'm excited to follow this journey with you guys!
I'm excited to hear how this goes!!
Post a Comment