Hannah has officially entered the "I have my own opinions, Mom!" phase. It has shown up most at the table where she is no longer willing to eat whatever I put in front of her...so sad! She is (hopefully temporarily) picky! The first sign language sign she recently mastered is for "all done" and she has been putting it to good use. However, in her language it means something like "I don't want any more of THAT...what else is there?" This has all led to some minor frustration between the two of us as she pleads for her favorite foods and I try to find a balance between appeasing her and encouraging her to have a healthy diet. It's also frustrating as her favorite foods seem to vary from day to day. Something she devoured yesterday may get instantly rejected today.
Some factors that Hannah has recently requested I consider when it comes to her food include texture, method of delivery, and smooshability. She doesn't care for pureed food that has a grainy or chunky consistency. Smooth is key. She much prefers to finger feed and put it in her mouth herself, rather than accept a spoon from me (unless it's sweet yummy fruit). And if after finger-feeding, the food isn't easily smooshed or softened, then right out it comes (unless, of course, it's a fridge magnet the neighbor boy decided to give her the other day). And lastly, she LOVES to have something large enough in her hand that she can gnaw on it with her little teeth. Give her any kind of raw vegetable (including a potato she managed to pull out of our pantry) and she will go after it, little shaving by little shaving. At least she will still eat her vegetables, I guess.
Other Hannah happenings of late include a definite increase in "talking". It seems she has something to say all of the time. She has been crawling across the house and back, constantly exploring, and has started to figure out how doors (to kitchen cabinets and daddy's office) work. Yesterday was so gorgeous that she and I spent most of the afternoon outside. After a long walk we headed towards the playground and as it came into sight, she started to squeal and bounce in anticipation of the swings and slides. I loved it. We had so much fun it makes me pumped for Spring to really get here!
Some factors that Hannah has recently requested I consider when it comes to her food include texture, method of delivery, and smooshability. She doesn't care for pureed food that has a grainy or chunky consistency. Smooth is key. She much prefers to finger feed and put it in her mouth herself, rather than accept a spoon from me (unless it's sweet yummy fruit). And if after finger-feeding, the food isn't easily smooshed or softened, then right out it comes (unless, of course, it's a fridge magnet the neighbor boy decided to give her the other day). And lastly, she LOVES to have something large enough in her hand that she can gnaw on it with her little teeth. Give her any kind of raw vegetable (including a potato she managed to pull out of our pantry) and she will go after it, little shaving by little shaving. At least she will still eat her vegetables, I guess.
Other Hannah happenings of late include a definite increase in "talking". It seems she has something to say all of the time. She has been crawling across the house and back, constantly exploring, and has started to figure out how doors (to kitchen cabinets and daddy's office) work. Yesterday was so gorgeous that she and I spent most of the afternoon outside. After a long walk we headed towards the playground and as it came into sight, she started to squeal and bounce in anticipation of the swings and slides. I loved it. We had so much fun it makes me pumped for Spring to really get here!

5 comments:
Aw, that's sweet. Getting some personality and some tastes... that little stinker. I bet you're having so much fun! Hope to see you both before too long.
Look at those pretty blue eyes...
Your blog makes ME excited for spring now too! Good luck with the food issue. :)
That was so fun to read! Your description made me feel I was there, reexperiencing the almost-toddler stage again. Yeah, food. . . mine seemed to change constantly, although there were a few reliable favorites. Hang in there. Nothing stays the same for long. :)
We're not at that stage yet and I am so thankful. What a great amount of patience you have to decipher what Hannah wants to eat on a daily basis!
I leave on Tuesday. I'm ready to go and hoping Aric will feel well by then. He's on nap #4 right now. Poor Guy!
Post a Comment