Saturday, October 11, 2008

My addiction

It's true...I confess to you that I have a serious addiction. I am voluntarily admitting myself to a rehab program. These next few weeks will be rough for me. I anticipate withdrawal as my body shifts into detox mode. The journey towards coming "clean" will be difficult emotionally and physically. Relapse will be tempting.

I write about this with a slight sense of humor, but in all seriousness, I really do struggle with an addiction...to sugar. It is my drug of choice. It is so comforting when I'm emotional or stressed. It gives a quick energy boost when I'm lagging. It entertains me when I'm bored. And besides those things, it makes foods taste SOOO good! It's such a socially accepted (even promoted) addiction, so I've never had to be truly honest with myself about it. However, after some recent circumstances and discussions, T and I have decided to move towards a more sugar-free (and artificial sweetner-free) diet in our family. This new commitment has forced me to realize the dependency I have on the substance. I crave it! I even get a slight feeling of panic when I think about all the things I CAN'T eat anymore. And don't even get me started about how difficult this is going to make my meal planning and grocery shopping!

I take that back, let me get started...SO much stuff at the grocery store is LOADED with sugar. You can hardly buy an already made item that doesn't list sugar or high fructose corn syrup as the second or third ingredient! Seriously...chips, whole wheat bread, ketchup, yogurt, salad dressings, cereals...it's everywhere! So, I have officially embarked on a quest to develop an arsenal of wholesome and sugar-free, yet flavorful and interesting recipes. We'll see how that goes.

In the meantime, know that if you interact with me in the near future, I'll probably be going through withdrawal. Please don't be offended if I unexpectantly snap at you and please don't offer me a tasty treat that might tempt me to "shoot up".

5 comments:

Marie said...

You can do it! Yoplait yogurt is my favorite, but it actually has hfcs in it. Sad, huh? I think some of the other fat free yogurts have some lower sugar varieties that are pretty tasty. I've been buying plain shredded wheat (kinda gross on its own) and just sprinkling in a little splenda and cinnamon and having that for breakfast each day.

I'm glad sleeping is going well!

mariscolgan said...

Good for you, Carmen! That makes me motivated to reduce or eliminate sugar from my diet as I believe I have a sweet addiction as well...you'll have to let me know if you come across some recipes and helpful info in taking sugar out of the diet!

Anonymous said...

oh my. this is serious. i commend you, but...i'm glad i don't live at your house!

Amanda said...

Here is a really good sugar free Popsicle recipe that I love. It's a good treat. One container plain yogurt (the big kind) one can of juice concentrate (one that is 100% juice). Mix, pour into little indivudual cups and freeze. It's really good and has no sugar. My children love it!

Anonymous said...

I also have a horrible addiction to sugar. Please keep us posted on the new recipes you find that are sugar-free, as I am always looking for new ideas!!