Saturday, September 06, 2008

Community Connection

This past Spring, out of a desire to be better stewards of all that God has given us, T and I committed to recycle as much as possible. We set up a thorough recycling collection center in our garage and cut our trash service back to every other week. It has been a rewarding endeavor for me. About once a month, our bins are overflowing, and I take them to our local recycling center to dump them. That was one of my tasks for today. This morning, I loaded up our van and joined the mass of other Manhattan citizens at Howie's. Each time I go there, I experience a sense of connection. I'm always amazed at how busy it is! A sense of community is felt in those brief interactions with other people who are sharing a similar value. We all smile at eachother as we pass and make short comments about sorting our trash...kinda funny when you think about it, but I love it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We also enjoy and are committed to recycle, but I love your perspective here in thinking about the community aspect of it. I often just lament that we don't have free curbside like we did when we lived in Arkansas... I'll remember this next time I'm laboring in the stinky Howie's.

tiff said...

I used to go to Howies when I was on the dorm recycling committee for my floor! Memories.

Anonymous said...

I finally found a location where all typical recyclable items can be taken to recycle. In the former town I lived in I actually called city hall to see if they knew of where I could go to recycle; they had no such thing beyond magazines and newspapers!! I am so happy to get back in the swing of recycling; you are right in that it truly is rewarding!