Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Art in Motion




















I have been loving the work of Alexander Calder lately. I am teaching my students at school about him, and the more I learn about him, his life, and his work, the more I grow to appreciate him. He was a man with playful, childlike passion. His artwork revolutionized the notion of what sculpture is. His work was so edgy at the time, that he called his works "objects" so that no one could criticize them by saying they weren't art. He is quoted as saying, "It washes my hands of having to defend them."

To view these works in motion is amazing! There is something about the random motion and gracefulness that excites me! I am captivated by the fact that the form changes constantly as all the parts move. Check out more of his work at www.calder.org.

6 comments:

Sandie said...

Hi Carmen, thanks for letting us know about your new venture. I have it bookmarked and will be checking! Sandie

Jill Pole said...

Carmen - Do you know if there are pictures of the huge "object" that used to hang in the space at the Union? (You know, the three story space by the stairs.) When I was a little girl, there was a huge "object" there and I used to lean on the railings and just stare at it when Dad would take me to the Union. The motion was fascinating to me.

alethea said...

Yeah! Welcome to the blog community! I'm so interested in what you've already posted.

Anonymous said...

Way to go sister!

Jenni said...

Wow-can't believe you already have 309 hits on your counter-way to go in entering into the addictive world of blogging

Marie said...

Hi Carmen! I saw your blog on Marvin and Erica's site and wanted to say hi. Devin and I were just talking about you and Tony last night, wondering what you were up to these days.

-Marie