This is my third day as a "blogger", and I am amazed by the emotion this new activity has stirred up in me. I have spent time getting caught up with friends' blogs, and have been amazed at how many people have taken an interest in mine. I've loved getting glimpses into the hearts of people dear to me, and I have a sense of giddiness realizing that those same people (and other dear ones) would want to take time to look into my heart as well!
Over the past couple years, my journey has been in discovering who I really am. In the midst of all the discoveries I've made, it saddened me to realize how many people in my life don't really know me. This journey has been similar to getting into a very cold swimming pool on a hot day. I know that the water will feel refreshing and that my body will adapt to the temperature, but I slowly dip my toe in, and then pull it out due to the cold chill. Friends who are already swimming yell, "Jump in, it feels great!". Friends bathing in the sun, far from the reach of any kid's splash, say, "It's more comfortable over here." I step into the water, and slowly, slowly lower my body into the cold water. It feels uncomfortable. I move around in the water, hoping it will begin to feel warmer, thinking that maybe the sunbathers were right. Finally, with the encouragement of the swimming friends, I take the plunge...I grab my nose, hold my breath and go under! All of a sudden, the water isn't so cold, and I feel free to swim, play, laugh, and move about.
So, that illustration isn't perfect, but my heart really resonates with it. Already, this blog feels like a place where I can reveal my true self, in all of my mystery, and be cherished. The fact that you precious friends would cheer me on into the water, and then take time to enjoy me and see me as I really am speaks amazing words of grace to my soul! Thank you!
Cheryl's Birthday
2 years ago

6 comments:
JUMP!
Let's go swimming sometime together. I want to know more of this side of you I like the metaphor.
Yeah...to add to that metaphor...I'd go swimming with you too, and that means I'd have to wear a swim suit! That really is a picture of how willing I am :)
Carmy! When I read that you had started a personal blog, my first response was amazement. I'm the friend on the side of the pool that has been thinking about jumping in, but is still scared. I know swimming is fun, but I get hung up on swimming with LOTS of people. A part of me is terrified of the vulnerability that comes with the whole world looking into my heart. It seems like it would be more like skinnydipping. I hope I am not ruining your metaphor. Inspired at the pool's edge,
Sarah Jeanne
librarybean, I love your heart and had to laugh at your "skinny-dipping" picture! :) I guess when I was writing about the metaphor of swimming I was thinking of more than just the blog...more about living fully out of who I am in all aspects of my life. Like letting my life be totally drenched in free, grace-filled living with a community of friends who love me.
I'm so glad you are here, Carmen. The blogspace is richer with you in it!
Post a Comment