What is it about sleeping children that makes so much of my frustration and impatience as a mommy just melt away? It's true, I get frustrated and impatient. And it's also true that no matter how difficult a day is, once they have been asleep for a while, I almost always find myself reflecting on how enjoyable our kids are. These are some things that are making me smile this evening...
This is how the kids positioned themselves this morning while I made breakfast. It was relatively short-lived since Caleb is always on the move, but it was melt-my-heart-sweet while it lasted. I love watching them growing as little buds.
This was so conflicting for me while it was happening. See that bright white pinstripe romper outfit he has on in the above photo? What was I thinking letting him near the sand and dirt with that on!?! Not long after going outside this morning, it was covered in mud. He is a mess magnet! I believe so strongly that kids (especially boys) need the freedom to get dirty, but it is so difficult for me to enjoy in the moment some times. Once I took his clothes off, it was easier for me. And he had such a good time!
And lastly, this afternoon while on a little stroll with the kids, we were passed by a motorcycle. Hannah knows that her daddy used to have a motorcycle and that mommy used to enjoy riding along sometimes too. Combine that with the fact that she thinks anything that happened before she was born happened while she was in my tummy and this was her oh-so-serious comment...
"Mommy, you and Daddy used to ride a motorcycle when you were married in my tummy."
It makes me chuckle out loud. :)

3 comments:
So very sweet. :)
oh man...messy babies can drive me nuts! Before I had the girls I was ALL about letting kids get messy. :)
I've figured out that if I can wait until around 4 o'clock to let them play in the dirt and mud I am much more relaxed because I know Jer will be home around 5 to help with baths and getting them from the mud puddle to the bathroom without totally destroying my house.
Also...that picture of them on the couch is so, so, so sweet!
The picture of the kids on the couch is the most gorgeous, heartwarming picture. Hannah's hand on his belly is so sweet. I'm sure it meted your heart if only for a minute. I know what you mean about frustration. As soon as the kids are asleep, my heart melts with warm fuzzies for them. A lot of the day, especially lately, is filled with me frustrated and yearning for personal space. I am thankful that God opens are hearts when we're alone to remember what precious (if sometimes annoying) gifts that they are.
Post a Comment