Tuesday, March 29, 2011

It's a Story

There is a book I'm reading that I just have to write about and whole-heartedly recommend.  I'm part of a women's group that is reading through 66 Love Letters by Larry Crabb.  It's a book of short, three to five page chapters, each one written as a conversation with God about each book of the Bible.  The subtitle of the book is "a conversation with God that invites you into His story".


Along with reading a chapter of the book each week, our group is also reading each corresponding book of the Bible (or at least trying to...maybe I can blame that for a slight lack in blogging).  I've been reading "The Message" translation which helps the Old Testament to read even more like a story, and it has been so enjoyable for me.  The combination of the Larry Crabb book, The Message, and a group of pretty conversational women have made the scriptures really come to life again for me.

I could go on and on about how the Crabb book ties God's bigger story as told through Scripture to our lives, or about how valuable it is to read and understand the Bible as one cohesive story, or about how much I appreciate having a community of real people trying to follow after Jesus around our lives, but I'll just leave it at that.  If you're looking for a good read or a little "how do I make this real" boost to go with the Bible, 66 Love Letters might be a good book to grab.  

1 comment:

tiff said...

I think my mom has a copy of this book. I'll have to borrow it! Thanks for the recommendation!