As our home is slowly getting finished up I'm more and more excited to add some personality and pizazz to the walls and such. Yet I'm going to take my time. I've determined some criteria for the things I want to display in our home, and I'm looking forward to the process of making and acquiring pieces. For what it's worth, I want everything to satisfy one or more of these points:
- Something we already have.
- Created by us or someone we know.
- Connects to a previous generation of one of our families and prompts stories.
- Somehow reflects one of our core values.
Now, obviously the aesthetic is very important to me, so I want things to look good too. But I get most jazzed thinking about how much I want our home to reflect who we are and where we come from. I want to prompt curiosity in people who spend time in our home.
My most recent project in this vain is this old window. It is from an old cabinet door from the house I grew up in. My great grandfather built the house and as far as I know, this door was from the original cabinetry. I recently snooped around in my parents' attic and found four of these that my mom had held onto (Yes, Brent and Alison, there is one for you as well). I simply brought it home, cleaned it up, removed old hardware, and then antiqued it with two layers of paint and some sandpaper. Now it greets guests as they enter our home.

6 comments:
So glad you blogged about this. Mom told me about it so I was excited to see it. I'm excited to see everything else you have done, too.
That's a really beautiful idea about choosing decor for your home. We are also planning to be intentional in what we choose to go on the walls (nothing from the local $ store because it was on sale and would look okay...) I look forward to seeing and getting inspired by your ideas.
Love it! The home is my favorite canvas on which to create. You are going to have so much fun!
What a beautiful entry. can I ask what your wall paint color is? I'm looking for a dusty shade of blue for our bedroom. I really love this!
I have a window from the front porch of my parent's house...the house my sisters and I were the 5th generation to be raised in; all three of us have one of the windows. My mom filled the panes with black & white photos from our childhood. It's probably one of my favorite pieces hanging on my walls.
I have a window from my dad's barn on our family room wall - love the warm feeling it gives me. I'm with you about making a home reflect who the people in it are!
Post a Comment