Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Kiddos

It's official.  Life with an infant whose mobility is ever increasing and a toddler who has decreased ability to move is a bit demanding.  I wouldn't say I'm at the end of the rope, but the past month of having to carry both kids everywhere and having to strategize on every outing have definitely stretched me.  My body is feeling it.  Thankfully we had a week of vacation with T around to help, followed by nearly a week at my parents' house.  I'm grateful for the help in bearing the load, quite literally.

As a side note, this has made me think a lot about what it would be like to have twins, a child with a physical disability, or to be my friend, Brooke, with daughters four months apart.  Whew!

In just the past few days, Hannah has been really figuring out how to motor around in her cast.  She can butt-scoot pretty fast and has learned how to maneuver both onto and off of our couches.  Tomorrow, however, we head back to the Doc to hopefully get her long leg cast replaced by a short leg walking cast.  We are all excited and she has her heart set on the color blue this time.

As for Caleb, he is introducing me slowly to this world of boyhood.  He is cuter than ever, but definitely a boy.  He moans.  He grunts.  He must always be going after something, manipulating something in his hands.  He is drawn to loud vehicles and machines.  He isn't phased by a little bonk on the head or a good squashing from his sister.  He loves to get physical and already likes a good bout of wrestling.  And I might as well mention that he is also very aware of his privates when they are exposed.  Boys.  :)

3 comments:

Angela said...

He also looks like quite the happy little guy. Sorry times are rough right now. Oh, the breath of fresh air you'll feel when Caleb starts crawling... probably about the time Hannah's getting around a lot better. It must be so different having a little boy. I'm so glad you're noticing it and enjoying it. Miss you all.

B In Real LIfe said...

Those pics of Mr Caleb are so adorable!

Thanks for the sweet words, it feels good to be "seen". You are right, it's tough to have two kiddos be completely physically dependent on you. CeCe just took her first step so I'm I'm looking forward to the day when i can get them out of the van and they can walk beside me instead of holding one a hip and the other around the neck trying not to drop her :) hahah!

I miss you...lots.

B In Real LIfe said...

Those pics of Mr Caleb are so adorable!

Thanks for the sweet words, it feels good to be "seen". You are right, it's tough to have two kiddos be completely physically dependent on you. CeCe just took her first step so I'm I'm looking forward to the day when i can get them out of the van and they can walk beside me instead of holding one a hip and the other around the neck trying not to drop her :) hahah!

I miss you...lots.