Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Mmmm...Smell that?

It's the smell of pickled beets wafting from my kitchen.  We love us some pickled beets in this family (not the kind you can buy at the store...the homegrown kind).  My mom has even been known to give us jars of them for Christmas.

Beets...if you haven't tried them before, you're probably turned off just by the idea of them.  And if you have tried them before, you may have thought they tasted like dirt, depending on how they were prepared.  It is true, they can be a bit "earthy" in flavor, but trust me, if you haven't liked them before, you owe them a second chance.  For one thing, there aren't many fruits or veggies that are that deep red in color all the way through...you know that means they are super good for you!  And secondly, a pickled beet doesn't taste at all like dirt.

I didn't think to take photos throughout the process, but here is the end result.  We will probably finish these off in a day or two, but wowsers, this was all I could afford to buy at the Farmer's Market last weekend.  Maybe I'm just cheap.  I know they were worth every penny and I like supporting local farmers and all, but it was torturous to pay $4 for eight or nine beets, knowing how abundantly my parents grow them (or have in the past...they claimed to have downsized the garden a bit this year).

So, anyway, if you're intrigued to try them, below is the recipe.  It is meant to be a canning recipe, but I simply cut in in fourth for my small quantity and instead of the hot water bath, I boiled the peeled and sliced beets in the syrup for about 10 minutes...

PICKLED BEETS
Select small, young beets.  Wash.  Leave 3 inches of tops on and roots.  Boil until skins slip off easily (15-20 minutes).  Put into cold water.  Remove skins, tops, and roots.  Cut beets into slices.
Syrup:
2 c. sugar
2 c. water
2 c. apple cider vinegar
1 t. cloves
1 t. allspice
1 t. cinnamon
Pack beets into jars to within 1/2 inch of top.  Pour boiling syrup over beets to within 1/2 inch of top of jar.  Process 30 minutes in boiling water bath.

4 comments:

Erica said...

Yum! Beets must be something you grow up eating because Marvin doesn't care for them. My grandma always made pickeled beets and I always remember it was a treat to open up a jar.

Beets are abundant in our part of the world, year round, yet I've never tried to make them. After seeing your recipe I'm pretty pumped that I can find everything!

Amanda said...

I remember the first time I ate beets I swore I would never eat them again. Just as you said, I thought they tasted exactly like dirt. But then we were at someones house for dinner and they served pickled beets. I couldn't exactly refuse them since I was a guest but I'm glad I tried them because YUM! No dirt taste at all. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I had been looking for one!

Mandy said...

The "beach scene" made out of jello was the creative endeavors of my friend's Justin and Loren. We decided to have a get together on Memorial Day and Justin is known for his jello creation so he showed Loren and I his "ways." We bought lots of jello and even more gelatin, hung out at my house for several hours, made and carved jello and the finished product is what you see. J & L did most of the work, I took pictures and provided comic relief. I of course had a great time!

Erika said...

yes...dirt. I want to give them another try...but I don't know. It would take a lot. Maybe...

But I'm sure you make them the best they can be!