Thursday, March 11, 2010

Folder Activities

I feel like a ball in a pin-ball machine these days...constantly bouncing from one person's needs to the next.  Change a diaper.  Feed a kid.  Burp a kid.  Deal with a tantrum.  Feed another kid.  Change another diaper. Engage in play. Make sure I drink some water.  Clean up from feeding kids.  Handle another tantrum.  Soothe fussy baby.  And oh yeah, I need to pee.  Repeat.  And while I wouldn't trade this season, being bounced around so much (along with lack of sleep) is making my head hurt.  

Part of what has been so difficult in the recent days is the fact that Hannah's moments of sadness have turned to tantrums.  They are mostly centered around Caleb's need to eat...from mommy.  So, in the midst of trying to help her deal with all the changes, I've been trying to be extra intentional to create quality time in the midst of our playing together.

One of our favorite things have been folder activities.  Now, I have to give my friend, Sarah, credit for planting these ideas in my head.  She is such an innovative and creative mommy.  After she showed me some of the folders she created for her daughter, I was inspired, and several months ago, I set out to make a few of my own.  This one is my favorite and Hannah is really enjoying it too...
I drew the characters and clothing (though I'm sure you could find some to print online), cut and colored them, "laminated" them with contact paper, and then applied velcro for attaching clothes.
 
Don't you love Hannah's early sense of style?
Other folders I've made involve activities centered around matching, identifying colors, and counting.  There are so many things you could do with this idea...themes involving sequencing, sorting, ABC's, spelling, picture Bingo, even motor skill development with zippers, buttons, laces, etc.  I hope to be making more in months to come.

9 comments:

TheHappyNeills said...

love it!

Alisha said...

What a great idea!!!

Amanda said...

Cute! Your children are blessed to have such a creative mama!

I'll be praying for you Carmen. Adjusting to life with more than one is a really difficult adjustment (for the whole family!) But I can promise you that it does get easier. I've been through it several times now! While it may be somewhat chaotic and exhausting while Caleb is a newborn it will get better!

B In Real LIfe said...

What a wonderful way to share some quality time with Hannah! I understand the feeling of being pulled in a million different directions 24/7....wouldn't trade it for anything...however a nice nap would be nice don't ya think?! :)

Miss you!

Erica said...

hang in there. I loved file folder games. I only brought a few with me, the others are stored somewhere. They are fun and easy to make (when you live in a country that believes in files.) Have fun being creative with them, which I know you will do. I'm sure hannah appreciates them.

Erika said...

Very cool idea!!
Carmen, I'm sure you are loving on both of your kiddos so well! You are one terrific mama.

Jane's Angle said...

Oh Carmen I hear ya! The first 6 weeks with Nathan was the hardest. Jacob would just sit and cry everytime I nursed Nathan. It's really starting to get easier right now (Nathan is 5 months) because Nathan is enjoying some alone time in the exersaucer or he likes to watch Jacob and I play. During those first six weeks whenever I was struggling feeling bad for Jacob I reminded myself of what a friend told me, "the best gift you can give your child is a sibling."

Angela said...

I love, love, love it! I want (time) to make one right now! No, I know Sophia would love it. What a great idea. I can really see that that would be engaging. Get some good talking going, too, I'm sure. I really need some new creative ideas for playing with Sophia. If I hear "momma pway houch" one more time,....!

Hang in there. And, uh, pat yourself on the back for another great mommy day! We have the most important job in the world.

Unknown said...

U are amazing. What a cool idea.