Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Conversations with Hannah

I've done a poor job of keeping any kind of notes or records about Hannah's language development.  I know some moms keep lists of their toddler's vocabulary or new words learned at certain ages, but I missed that boat!  Hannah's list is too long to try to put together now.  However, in just the past couple weeks, she has started the amazing feat of putting 2-4 words together to create fragmented phrases.  It's been so fun to be even more conversational with her!  Now, of course, without T or I there to translate, your conversation with her might be a bit limited, but we're quite proud nonetheless!  :)  Here are some recent and often repeated phrases...

(upon entering her room in the morning)
"Da-da ee-ee.  Daddy?  Bye?  Mommy Hah-hu home pway."
Translated "My diaper is icky.  Is daddy already gone?  Mommy and Hannah stay home and play."

(talking on her toy cell phone)
He-wo.  Pawk brrrr.  
Translated "Hello.  It's too cold for the park."

(after looking out the window to see T home from work, but visiting with a friend)
Daddy!  Daddy home!  Daddy Hah-hu pway!  Oh, daddy tawk moor."
Translated "Daddy is home!  Now daddy and Hannah can play!  Oh, but daddy is talking more."

(when I tell her it's time to get ready to go somewhere)
"Brrr...Toat, doos, hat, goves.  Ba-ba, baby?"
Translated "It's cold outside.  I need to wear my coat, shoes, hat, and gloves.  Can I take my blankie or baby?

And then there are many more two word phrases...
"Mmm-mmm cheese"  ("I want to eat cheese")
"Djo-Djo pway" ("I want to play with my friend, Josie")
"Moor peese"  ("More, please")
"Tee-tee book" or "Choo-choo book" or "Tuck book" ("Teeny book, train book, or Chuck book" depending on which one she prefers) 
"Mi-mi Tee-dee" ("Monkey TV", a.k.a Curious George)

So, anyway, it's been super fun to observe her learning, and I'm confident that helping verbs and complete sentences are only a week or two away.  :)

4 comments:

Erika said...

I can tell, too, when I'm around Hannah that she is becoming so verbal! Way to go kid!

Kira said...

Absolutely one of my favorite parts of watching children grow is watching their vocabularies come alive! Before you know it, she'll be verbalizing in complete paragraphs! (That's also when you will long for the days of old when she didn't talk quite so much!)

Angela said...

I LOVED reading that! What a sweet kid. That makes me want to document Sophia's. It's so fun to hear these 4 word sentences pop up.

Marie said...

Precious!