Caleb Anthony is here and we couldn't be happier!
If you're someone who is grossed out by some of the realities of labor and delivery, then you may want to stop reading here. But for anyone else who is interested, this is my account of how little Caleb was born.
It was Thursday night, and we were sleeping our way into day five past our due date. Near midnight, I felt my first "real" contraction and knew right away that labor was starting. I'd been fighting a cold, however, so I knew I needed to sleep as much as possible before things got intense. I resolved to sleep in between contractions which were about ten minutes apart. Around 3:00, I notified T that "I think we're having a baby today" and we agreed we'd try to sleep until 6:00.
Right around 6:00 in the morning contractions picked up in intensity, so we crawled out of bed, showered, packed our bags, and began to mentally prepare for what was ahead. Hannah woke up and joined us as I labored on the birth ball in the living room. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed having her around. She provided some sweet distraction and comic relief, even offering me occasional gestures of comfort.
Our doula, Rachel, came over sometime near 9:00am to offer her support, and my mom showed up to take Hannah around that same time. Until that point, my contractions were very manageable and I was truly enjoying the experience. They intensified over the next hour, but I was able to stay relaxed and focused.
Near 10:00, we decided it was probably time to head to the hospital so I could get some time in the hot tub. We arrived and started to get settled in and soon learned that I was already dilated to 8cm and 100% effaced. I continued to labor, slow dancing with T at this point (which felt so good and was quite intimate). And by the time they told me they had the hot tub ready, my nurse checked me again to discover that I was fully dilated...no hot tub for me!
At this point, I was so excited and a bit shocked. After nearly 30 hours of exhausting labor with Hannah's birth, this second labor had been comparatively easy and enjoyable! It seemed almost too good to be true. And I guess it was.
Shortly after reaching full dilation, my doctor broke my water...maybe around noon. We all thought it would be a matter of minutes before we'd have a baby in our arms. But then he got stuck or something. I started to have back labor and stabbing pain like I don't ever remember experiencing. It was excruciating and exhausting with contractions one right after the other. (I know a handful of my blog readers have endured hours of back labor, and I have a new found respect for your experience!) After maybe 30 minutes of that pain, I was ready to give up...I mean, I thought I'd have a baby by now! But then Rachel and my doctor suggested a position that could help move the baby, and praise the Lord, it worked! Caleb quickly moved down and I was ready to push. And push I did!
Caleb was 10 lb. 7 oz. and 22.5 in long, so he took all my energy to get out. He was born at 1:13pm. I really don't think I've done anything that physically difficult in my life. But, of course, we were so ecstatic and emotional to meet him, and the memory of the pain is already so faded.
He did have some fluid in his lungs which made breathing a bit difficult for him initially (notice his purple color). So, he was quickly swept away and ended up having to stay hooked up to monitors throughout his first 24 hours. So, unfortunately, our time with him has been a bit limited (as has our opportunity to take photos) and I didn't get to nurse him until this afternoon. But he is doing fine now, and we are so thankful!
And I just have to tell you that my hubby was my hero of the day. While he was great during Hannah's birth, I felt even more support and confident encouragement from him this time around. He seemed so aware of what touch I needed when, what words I needed to hear, and how he could support me. Even the sound of his occasional sobs while he cheered me on in the intensity of pushing made me feel like he was such a part of my team. I sure love him.
Cheryl's Birthday
2 years ago

18 comments:
I'm so happy that your labor went smoothly and you could do it naturally!
Caleb looks good in purple...he's a Wildcat through and through!
Congratulations, Carmen & Family!! We're so excited for you all!! Thanks for sharing your story--I actually LOVED reading it!
Welcome Caleb (I love the name).
Emily & Mark
You my friend are a champ! So excited for your family of 4! love you
All I can say is WOW! Carmen, I seriously think you should have some sort of medal or something! And I know that you couldn't have done it without your hubby by your side! Can't wait for more pictures. Thanks for sharing your story with us all!
Congratulations Carmen! Thanks for sharing your story, and I am glad to read that things were a little easier this time around. Can't wait to see more pics!
What a sweet baby boy! I am so glad you were able to have a great experience, thought difficult toward the end. What a miracle that you were able to give birth naturally. Hope you are getting some rest and so glad Caleb is okay. Let me know if you need someone to take Hannah for a few hours.
Carmen, I think you are wonder woman!! That story was really beautiful! It makes me wish/dream about there being a way I could deliver naturally after having 2 c-sections. :)
Amazing story, Carmen, and your baby is perfect! Can't wait to see him in person!
Good job Carmen!
I won't soon forget Caleb's arrival since we share the same birthday. I'm glad everyone is doing well.
Carmen,
Thanks for sharing your story. It is beautiful. And I too am so proud of you for pushing out that husky guy! I'll be praying he takes of nursing, now that you have him in your arms.
So glad Caleb is able to be in your arms today. Enjoy that little sweetie. And you're amazing Carmen! Thanks for sharing his story.
Yay! Yay! Yay! He's so precious! Enjoy your new little man. I bet Hannah will be one amazing big sister!
How precious!!! Congratulations! I loved your birth story and think each one is special. He is one BIG boy!!!! I'm in awe that you pushed him out!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I have been thinking of you, love Caleb's birth story. You pushed out a 3 monther, WOW!! Beautiful boy!
OK, so I am a blog stalker and found you through Brooke Krause. I have met you a couple times with her and at church. (she worked with me at Georgetown Apts) Anyway, both my boys were over 9lbs and I cannot believe how big Caleb is. I loved your story and I am amazed by it. You are an amazing woman and what a cutie pie! Congrats!
Oh yea AND Judy does my hair! Love your short hair! :)
Good job, Babe!! Congratulations! You are amazing. Did you do Bradley method?
Post a Comment