Friday, September 04, 2009

People and Politics

Now, I'm not one to typically post about things of a political nature, but I've been so riled up the past few days, I decided it was time. But before I start in...be warned...I'm almost positive I will offend a reader or two, so read at your own risk. :)

My energy is less about politics and more about people. President Obama recently announced that he would give a nationwide address to our country's students and I have been a bit appalled (is that too strong of a word?) by people's response. It seems that once the word hit, parents in the conservative right camp were instantly exclaiming "my child will not be brainwashed" or "stay away Hitler". WHAT!?! Why are people so instantly opposed to their child hearing anything from Obama? Of course, I understand that many people are enraged about his recent policies, but I am concerned that the far right's use of fear-inducing propaganda is keeping parents from thinking for themselves (brainwashed, perhaps?).

Of course you don't want your child brainwashed. But is that really what you think is going to happen? I mean, I'm not sure, but do you really think he is going to try to convince them to support his stimulus plans or health insurance ideas? Why are we really afraid to let our children hear from our president? What about teaching our children how to listen and learn (with a thoughtful and critical mind) to people of all opinions? What about teaching them how to think critically about what they hear? A copy of the president's address is going to be posted online prior to his presentation to the youth so, parents, why not keep an open mind until then and be willing to do some work and research in order to make an informed and thoughtful decision for your child? Why let the extreme right instill such fear in you?

In my mind that is what all of the recent political chaos should really make us ponder. Why are we so fearful? Most people in the conservative right camp are proud to call themselves Christians, but how does that reveal itself in their political approach? In my observations, it seems to give them license to be judgmental, crass, and fearful rather than causing them to exhibit Jesus' heart of love, grace, and trust in a sovereign and good God. I'm by no means advocating for anyone to be passive or apathetic, but I pray that as a people, Christians in this country and around the world would be ones to exude peace, faith, hope, and love in all situations...

...and I think we can start by thinking about how we can demonstrate this for our children.

8 comments:

manhattandoula said...

Preach it, sister! Great job!

Alisha said...

AMEN!

jenifriend said...

what has charged me isn't that he has asked to speak to our children...it's that he is simply going to do it. our school system doesn't even allow romeo and juliet to be played in class without parental consent from the parents...why is it now okay for the president to speak to our kids without that same consent. i can rest assured in knowing that if it was fred phelps showing up to the classes to make a speech about his views on homosexuality, there would be a consent form coming home to me. why does the president receive a pass on this? i don't doubt that our president is a good man. but it's his inconsideration for the fact that I am who parents my child, and I am who censors the material they absorb that infuriates me. from the extracurricular games they play to the books they read, it goes through me. the conversation he would like to have with them is no different. i am a constant advocate for harmonious discussion and truly believe that two believers of different things can have an incredibly meaningful and respectful debate, and both can walk away from each other having learned a thing or two. but i think in order to gain respect, mr. obama should be swiftly reminded that he has children of his own, and i'm certain that he wouldn't be okay with bill o'reilly sweeping them up unannounced to have a conversation with them without his knowledge and approval of what's being spoken.

i love you and appreciate your opinion on this. :)

Shelley C said...

I could not agree more with you, C! I just stepped out of a meeting with my team of teachers--all expressing many of the same sentiments. One of the hardest things to nurture in ourselves and those we love is a willingness and ability to be open to others and think critically for ourselves.

Unknown said...

well put, Carmen!
As far as the president, the appointed head-official of the government, which oversees and funds the public schools some of our children attend, needing permission to address the very schools he resides over by proxy...well...i'm not saying those in that camp don't have a point--what i am saying is that i just don't know what that point is and what rational school of thought is being used to justify said point. It has been my experience, so far, that the same people who are up in arms about this are the same people who keep yelling about socialism while in the same breath, gladly participate in socialist programs like sending their kids to public schools. A lot of these people are Christians and do things like hold jobs that require some level of rational and clear thinking. So maybe i'm the one who needs to get my head checked, because i'm apparently one of the few who is very confused and a lot less certain about a number of things compared to my other brothers and sisters in Christ.
have a great labor day weekend, everyone!

Marie said...

Couldn't agree more Carmen. If I had a kid in elementary school this is what I would do:

I would go with her to school and listen to the speech too OR I would get a copy of the speech and talk about it at dinner that night (depending on age of course). We have to teach kids to listen and discern other points of view. My parents did a fantastic job of this, so when I was in 7th grade and my teacher taught us about the big bang theory I raised my hand and said "I don't agree with that. That wasn't what I was taught." It also prepared me for K-State and my socialist Sociology class professor who tried to shove his ideas down our throats.

It disgusts me that people compare Obama to Hitler. I was just emailed a video where a Marine was applauded for comparing Nancy Pelosi to a nazi soldier. That only trivializes the horrific things that the REAL Nazis did.

Thanks for sharing!

Angela said...

Thanks for sharing on this, Carmen! I was just last night yelling at the T.V. and at Will when I heard about this.

Would this same upheaval be happening if Bush was still president? And, Lord knows we Christians don't believe EVERYTHING he says. I think it's high time that we respect the man in office regardless of whether or not we agree with EVERYTHING he is doing.

As Christians we need to understand that we cannot shelter our children from everything, and we SHOULD NOT shelter them from such an important address as one straight from their president.

We need to have CONVERSATIONS with our children. We need to give our children the respect that they deserve: We need to believe and respect that our children can think for themselves, converse on matters of controversy, and be in the world and not of it.

I ask this question, too. What are we afraid of? Are we afraid of what he'll say? Are we afraid that he'll sway our children to stay in school? Are we afraid that our 12-year olds will come home liberal? A 12-year old listens to a lot more during the the day: at recess, lunch, and otherwise (even straight from the teacher) that we might should be worried about. This address will be published... beforehand... Come on. What are we afraid of?

Andrea said...

This has been some serious buzz at school over the last few days. It absolutely makes me so mad. He's the president...our leader - whether we like it or not, and he's going to talk to kids and encourage them to do their work well and work hard. Hmmm. I don't get why that's a bad thing...but perhaps I'm just dumb...but I'm teaching your kids :).