Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Where I am From

It seems that everyone on Facebook and Blogger is writing a "25 random things about me" list. I have been tagged by many people to complete the list for myself, but I'm just not wanting to. However, I have been wanting to do a little creative writing exercise lately...an "I am from" poem. So, rather than a random things list, I give you a poem of sorts...

I am from wide open space, the wind in my hair, and colorful sunsets. I am from standing on front porches to watch thunderstorms roll in. I am from long dusty bike rides and stones splashed in creeks. I am from secret fortresses amidst the haybails.

I am from chasing chickens with their heads cut off. I am from dirt under fingernails, from juicy red strawberries, crisp green cucumbers, and sweet corn-on-the-cob.

I am from a love-filled family. I am from to-do lists from mom and evening phone calls from dad, from crafts at the kitchen table and hugs and prayers before bedtime. I am from game nights, puzzles, and lying on the floor, from the original Nintendo Mario Brothers, Barbies, and Micro Machines. I am from 4-H record books and project talks.

I am from cousins across the road and trips next door to grandpa and grandma's house for lemondrops. I am from sixteen classmates, sweaty sports practices, and cruising mainstreet. I am from crimped hair, stick-on earrings, hypercolor shirts, and snap bracelets.

I am from the church on the highway. I am from mother-daughter banquets and ice cream socials. I am from vacation Bible school where snack time was the best. I am from hymn-sing Sunday and "It Only Takes a Spark".

I am from a God who died for me. I am from many mistakes along the way. I am from a community of grace. I am from eternal gratitude.

9 comments:

Erika said...

Love it!! I relate to so much of it - go figure. We're from the same place. :) Good memories.

Gail said...

Aw--brings back lots of memories! We had a great childhood! But what are Micro Machines? Never heard of them.

Rachel said...

So lovely, Carmen. Thanks for sharing some of your creativity. And I love that you played with Micro Machines. I don't think I've ever met another female that played with them as a child. Granted, I don't think I had any of my own but I would play with my brother's for hours!

Creationship said...

I really, really love this. My micro machine memory: crushing them under my gargantuan-in-comparison Barbie's feet. That was my idea of playing with my brother!

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing. love this.

B In Real LIfe said...

you are a quite the poet! i loved your poem and can't wait to see you saturday!!

Anonymous said...

i love you carmen! this was beautiufl!!

jenifriend

Alisha said...

Love it! You're so creative! It sounds a lot like my life, only I'm from a class of 17 (woohoo!) and grandpa and grandma down the road always gave us jelly beans. What fun memories! BTW - I'm reading healthy sleep habits and may call you this weekend if you're around.

The Jones Family said...

Wow Carmen, this was awesome. It brought back so many memories for myself, but I guess many of my favorite childhood memories included you! Thanks for the poem. You are so talented.