Monday, September 22, 2008

Current Reads

My recent reading list has exploded and is a bit longer than I'd like, but I'm loving having my mind stimulated by the thoughts and stories of others. These are the books I'm working on currently...
I have joined a young moms' group from our church and we have just started this book. I am so pumped about it! After reading only a couple chapters, my heart has already been stirred and refreshed. I'm really looking forward to group discussions.
This is a book that has definitely created a lot of "buzz" recently. T's parents sent it to us for my birthday. They read it recently, and we look forward to discussing it with them when they come for a visit in just over a week. I'm enjoying the story, but don't really love the way it's written.
I checked this one out from the local library. Our little Hannah isn't a great napper, and it's catching up with her...more and more tired as the days go on. The author is a sleep specialist and bases the book on much of his research and work with parents. I am very encouraged by what I've read so far. I had no idea sleep was so complex, however!
We live in such a great neighborhood with a great sense of community. The ladies on our street have recently started a book/luncheon club. We randomly picked this book off the NY Times Bestseller List. I'm not far into it, but am excited about it. It's the story of a man who got stranded in Pakistan, was taken in by a community of nationals, and later vowed to promote peace in that region by building schools. I anticipate it stirring lots of thought and discussion about our nation's policies on international affairs, war, peace, etc.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you have time to read so much. I may need to borrow a few of those when you're done...

Erika said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one who reads multiple books at once. :)

Alisha said...

In my mom-to-mom study on Tuesday the book "Grace Based Parenting" was quoted and I made a note that I want to read it - Let me know what you think of it!

Marie said...

Oooh Grace Based Parenting is the best books I have ever read. I felt like it was written just for me!

mariscolgan said...

You'll have to let me know how these books are! Esp Grace Based Parenting...I'm interested:)

manhattandoula said...

Hey, Carmen -- this is very late, obviously. I'm just nosily browsing through some of your old entries. I just finished _Three Cups of Tea_ -- soooo interesting. I'd love to chat with you about it sometime. Well, that and everything else you've been reading. :)

Thanks for sharing some your passions with us this morning!