Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Today's Creation and Discovery

This summer, my parents picked a ton of fresh sour cherries for us. Thanks mom and dad! Today, I decided to get some out of the freezer and make a pie. As you can see in the picture, I filled it a bit full, and it ran out the side...sticky, stinky oven. :( However, I can't wait to slice it up and eat it ala mode tonight!

Now, usually, I don't love to make pies. I prefer to make most things you can think of from scratch if I have the time, but I always dread making pie crusts. Why did no one tell me until recently about the Pillsbury premade refrigerated crusts you can buy?!? I've always thought that my only store-bought option were those crusts you buy in the flimsy foil pans...not great. But, alas...I have finally discovered the crust that will result in many more pies around our house! Thank you, Pillsbury (or in this case, WalMart's Great Value brand)!

9 comments:

Mandy said...

looks yummy! I loved seeing you briefly at church.

Amanda said...

Carmen, that pie looks great! John would be drooling right now if he saw it. He loves fruit pies. I love it when homemakers actually make things. Way to be!

Marie said...

That looks amazing. I've never made a pie before. Ever. So sad....

Kira said...

Oh Carmen...refrigerated crusts are the only way to go! I use them for my chicken pot pie now, and I notice that I make it a lot more often! They also make great wraps for chicken wellington...oh this is the beginning of many more cooking opportunities for you!
Love and miss you!
Kira

Anonymous said...

Carmen, it was so delicious, thank you!!! Yes, I am also a lover of the Pillsbury pie crusts, and you can just re-freeze and use the other one another time if you only use one!

Erika said...

That looks delish! Ohhh, fresh fruit pies are the greatest.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm...now you need to make one with those peaches. :)

Erika said...

btw...dana now has a blog at www.the-joneszone.blogspot.com. Thought you might be interested.

Heather said...

Looks great Carmen! I actually love making pies from scratch however...I use the refrigerated pie crust like you used when I make chicken pot pie - so yummy, so quick and a great way get lots of veggies packed in a meal.