Mmmmmm...T and I enjoyed our first BLT sandwich of the season with a fresh tomato straight from our little garden. It was delightful! A deep excitement wells within me when I think about fresh home-grown produce. The store bought stuff just can't compare. I long for the day when we have the space for a large garden and lots of fruit trees!
In the meantime, I am very thankful for our tiny garden plot and my parents' generous sharing of their garden harvest. Along with that, this year we purchased a share in a local "community supported agriculture" farm. Basically, people "buy into" the farm and in return, we share in a fraction of the harvest. With these combined resources, we have enjoyed things like fresh lettuce, rhubarb, beets, strawberries, potatoes, cabbage, tomatoes, green beans, and broccoli in recent weeks. I am looking forward to peppers, canteloupe, cucumbers, zucchini, sweet corn, peaches, apples, cherries, blueberries, and more before summer's end. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

3 comments:
I feel like I am suzy homemaker when I but salad toppings off of the dillons salad bar...COngrats on your garden! i guess the neighbor kids stopped playing in it? I look forward to a BLT with you and T as soon as I get back in town. Love you!
I'd love to hear more about the "community supported agriculture" farm. Maybe the next time we hang out...
You know, I was just thinking about your garden today and wondering how it was doing! I guess now I know! I have ventured into flower gardening this year and think I will give a produce garden a try next year. Any tips are much appreciated!
Post a Comment