Sunday, July 22, 2007

Summer Silence

It has been way too long since I've had any desire to write in this space. Even now, I don't really know what to write about. The summer has been so enjoyable, but has flown by quicker than any I can remember! After a school year jam-packed with commitments and meeting with people, I have thoroughly enjoyed a slower, rejuvinating pace. As a true introvert, I have been so refreshed by time at home, walks in the country sunshine, laying out by the pool, and time with close friends. It's also been great to be available to people as they have had needs. I'm so grateful for a teacher's shedule!

The challenge I have given myself for this semester/school year is to live below my limits. Each semester seems to be a course in determining what my threshold is, and it seems that in the past few semesters, I've failed at the course. I am so easily excited when things are just beginning. I'm such an initiater that in the initial stages of something, I feel as though I can take on the world. I often overcommit and find myself feeling drained before too long. At that point, I feel trapped and wishing I had reserved more space for myself. All that to say, that this semester, I'm challenging myself to be secure enough in who I am and what I'm really passionate about to say "no" to more opportunities than I have in the past. We'll see how I do.

Actually, you know, I think the challenge I mention is a valuable spiritual discipline for me. The practices of simplifying and not trying to "do it all" force me into relationship with God.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

glad to hear from you in this way again.

Anonymous said...

So good to hear from you again! I check regularly. I think it is such a challenge to not over commit. I am much better now than I was a few years ago at slowing the pace. This year I have actually backed out of a few things after I said I would do them because I felt I needed to guard my time better. Then my challenge becomes being more intentional with my down time.

See you in a few weeks! ~Tiff