Monday, July 17, 2006

Learning

Famous American artist, Georgia O'Keefe helped inspire the painted masterpieces the kids are holding in these pictures (surely you can see the resemblance). :)

I've been having fun with these kids, but I feel like I'm learning more than they are! I've learned things like...
...There is a HUGE developmental difference between 4th grade boys and 8th grade girls.
...When a kid purposefully slathers paint on his paint shirt, it can soak through at least three layers of nice clothing.
...It's difficult to convince kids they have artistic talent after their parents have told them otherwise for years.
...Boys really do think about food all the time.
...My high school students are WONDERFUL. :)

Most importantly I've learned that to hear the words, "Mrs. Classen, that was so fun." or to witness a kid dragging his mom in by the arm to show her his latest work is worth all the effort I've put in and more.

4 comments:

alethea said...

It's so exciting to read of your experiences with these kids! I'm glad they have you and your classes.

Anonymous said...

That's really fun. And who doesn't like food?

Mandy said...

it looks like things turned out well...i completely forgot about asking you about painting me a picture to put in my living room...i'm assuming you remember the sad bare wall in my living room...let me know if you are interested!

Alison said...

That looks like so much fun and so rewarding too! I can't wait to see you and catch up on everything! I love you and miss you so much!